Friday, December 4, 2009

Chains and where they lead to.

Madeline and I got bored while suffering our convalescence this past week. So we did what anybody would do who has finally given in to listening to Christmas music all day every day on the radio. We made a Christmas countdown chain. Not being crafty, I had no colored paper, so we improvised by alternating printing paper and wrapping paper. It looks kind of festive. Jessie hung it above our stairs, just at the edge of Madeline's range. For the first day or two, she could grab the end and threaten to bring the whole project crashing down if she decided to suddenly develop Tarzan like instincts. But now it's safely out of her reach, unless she has some sort of freakish Christmas growth spurt. She never wants to help tear a link off at night, but she watches with interest as we do it. And she'll randomly stop playing and go "Oooh! Chain!" and point like it's the most interesting thing we've ever had in our house. Maybe it is. It's not very long. Somehow I remember Christmas chains being longer when I was younger. I must have been shorter. Or we started in October.

I was listening to the radio last night. The song "All I want for Christmas is a hippopotamus" came on. Have you heard that one? Sadly, I think I never had before last night. Once upon a time I really truly wanted a real hippopotamus to live in our backyard. I thought maybe it would give me rides. Even then, I knew it wasn't realistic though. No one gets a hippopotamus for Christmas. So I never put a live hippopotamus on my lists. I put books and jewelry and tetherballs. I was thinking about that as I looked at our Christmas chain today. I made my mom and Jessie a list, but when Madeline/Jessie pulls off the last chain, I won't be getting a live hippo. Sometimes, you just can't put things on your Christmas list.

No comments: