Thursday, December 10, 2009

Brought to you by the resident neighborhood hermits.

So today I went shopping with my mom. One of the first things she says to me: "So I guess you had a really exciting day yesterday, huh?" I stared at her blankly. The most exciting thing that happened to me yesterday was getting to sleep in until 8 am because Madeline did. I'm not sure how she knew about this grand accomplishment. She sees me looking confused, and says, "Didn't a plane crash right by your house?"

Huh. Turns out a small plane did crash right by our house. About a hundred, hundred fifty yard away actually.

In my defense, the only time I left the house all day was to get the mail. But still. I'm sitting there thinking, I might have heard some sirens. Did I hear sirens? Was that yesterday? Or was that the day Madeline hit her head on the window? Wait. Which day did Madeline hit her head on the window?

I was curious to see if Jessie realized we had nearly been involved in an aviation disaster. The only thing he said about his drive home yesterday was that traffic was a bit heavier than usual. We picked him up for lunch, and I asked him, "Hey, how about that traffic yesterday? Did you by chance see, you know, a small plane crashed next to our house?"

Turns out he didn't see it. Either on the way home last night or on the way to work this morning. A coworker told him about it today. According to him, it was dark. Last night at least. I don't know what his excuse was this morning. For missing a small plane crashed into a hill by our house.

Please, dear readers, do me a favor. If a small meteor should strike our neighbor's house, or an earthquake should shut down the city, or you know, the end of the world comes, would someone please send me an e-mail? Or a text?

Thanks. Jessie and I like to be informed.

No comments: