Sunday, March 8, 2009

My kid is the one in sacrament making you feel good about your kid's behavior.

Madeline has a problem sitting through church. Even for an eleven month old. Today made me want to hide under a rock. Mostly because if Madeline isn't allowed to do what she wants to do, a tantrum ensues, at full Madeline lung capacity. Which is enough to ensure everyone in the county is looking at us. We went in and out of sacrament about five times, because when Madeline was in the hallway running around, she was happy and quiet. So after about ten minutes, you start to make yourself believe she'd behave inside the chapel. And then discover, anywhere from 30 seconds to three minutes later, that you were sadly mistaken. She behaved herself in Sunday school because she was sleeping. Anyone who invents a three hour sleeping pill for children would be my undying hero. Relief Society meant more fun running around the room, stealing other people's toys and crackers, or scriptures and pens if she could get them. I think I sat in five different seats as I followed her around trying to keep her out of trouble. All the while, of course, noticing the five other kids between 6-18 months who were playing quietly in a two foot radius around their mothers. With their own toys.

Maybe if everyone else was getting after Madeline, she'd behave better. But everyone else is bewitched by her cuteness, and she charms her way through the women of the ward, taking whatever she wants from them. They'd whisper to me, "she is so cute!!!!" as I crept past, frazzled, to keep her from poking out another baby's eyes or stealing the centerpiece. The woman sitting next to me (at the start of the meeting) told me she was "just a miracle" who "broke all the rules". You said it, sister.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Haha. You should come to our ward out here in Philly. It's insane. We routinely have 2-4 children sitting on the bench with us, having NO idea who their parents are, trying desperately to keep them from running up on to the stand and regulating their potty breaks. :)

It's always a madhouse. Best ward I've ever been in.