Thursday, March 19, 2009

The game must go on. At least that's what I screamed at my television.

This morning, we were in crisis mode. It all boiled down to one thing: in all my excitement for the games to start, I'd forgotten that when we switched to DTV, we couldn't get CBS. Up until now, it didn't really matter We had American Idol, Lost, Heroes, The Office. Why did we need Drew Carey and his sad attempt to be a Price is Right star? But all of a sudden, this morning, it was a horrible, horrible hole in our television viewing experience. How could I have four channels of BYU reruns and slalom and cartoon ducks and alligators but no basketball? I contemplated totally unhooking our DTV setup in an attempt to gain some grainy, fuzzy basketball that may or may not let me read the score, but first I decided to fiddle with the DTV remote. And miracle of miracles, I managed to create CBS in living digital color. I think I intimidated the air waves. Just be glad I figured it out. Or it may have been your house I showed up at.

Speaking of the festivities, being the wonderful mother I am, I have decided to indocrintate my child while she is young by helping her to figure out her very own, first ever March Madness bracket. Since she really has no inkling about seeding and records and statistics, we accomplished this by writing all the teams on little pieces of paper and presenting them to her, two at a time, for her selection. The unlucky winner got a bit crumpled until we could rescue it from her grasp, and the loser was put into a pile to be submitted to whatever toddler torture she chose to put it through. At first, this was a lot of fun, but halfway through the second round, she decided her new books were a lot more fun than chewing on paper. So she may not be finished with her picks until halfway through the first round. Don't worry, I don't think that will effect the outcome. Especially since she's got three 15 seeds, three 16 seeds, and all the 14 seeds in her Sweet Sixteen. My little girl loves an upset. Apparently.

No comments: