Monday, March 16, 2009

March Madness is aptly named. And I LOVE IT.

It's March again. I love March. I'm not sure why I enjoy March Madness so much. When I was young, my interest in sports was directly proportional to my desire to annoy my brother by rooting against all his teams. Every year during the Super Bowl, I'd find out which team he wanted to win, and then dress up in the opposing teams colors and ignore most of the game except the halftime show. In high school. March Madness meant the teachers had the television on while we were supposed to be doing homework in class, which meant me and my friends could play cards instead of working and not get noticed. But in college, being surrounded by many teenage boys, all of whom would rather watch the NCAA tournament than socialize, I decided to see what the hoopla was all about. And I got hooked.

So now, I'm the one bugging my husband about watching games and making my mom promise to do a family pool (since the brother is currently on a mission and is NOT even paying attention to the tournament...yeah.) I'm reading articles on who's going dancing every day and acting like I know something. Go me. I have yet to fill out my bracket, because for me, it's a long and detailed process, full of statistics, records, professional advice, and in the end...utter randomness. It'll be finalized right before the games start. So let me now urge you all to go fill out a bracket yourselves. Even if you don't know a thing about college basketball. You'll be glad you did. And you can tell me how much joy I brought into your life by encouraging you to devote your life to basketball for the next three weeks. Only wait until after the game to tell me. I don't want to be interrupted.

No comments: