Thursday, October 30, 2008

A list of my week's activities for you to enjoy

Sorry about the break in blogging, my devoted fans. Madeline and Jessie have been sick, our car broke again, we've had construction going on at our house, we've been apartment hunting, and Madeline's naps have been sporadic. Also, I have had a lack of motivation. But, rest easy, because I'm back.

So, to run down that huge list of reasons why I'm a slacker: Madeline got her first cold, which has been fun. She's not hugely cranky because of it, except when I'm wiping her nose. Apparently kids hate that. Madeline acts like I'm killing her. So I have an interesting conundrum: let her crawl around with gobs of snot running down her face and let her wipe it everywhere on her hands, clothes, and me, or make her hate me every ten minutes while I become civilized and use a kleenex. Mostly we compromise. If it it gets too bad, I step in, but otherwise I let it run its course and plan to sanitize everything later. Unfortunately, Jessie got sick too; but fortunately, he wipes his own nose. And medicates himself too. So life is good.

We were driving out to Jessie's mom's house over the weekend when our car suddenly started randomly overheating. WE thought a little coolant would do the trick, but alas, the coolant was plenty full. After an exciting journey home, in which we got to sit at freeway exits a few times, staring at each other, waiting for the car to cool off a bit, we took the car in to have the thermometer replaced with a new, better, cooler thermometer. The mechanic is kind of sick of us. He told us we'd better stay away until we're due for an oil change. We told him we're desperate for friends, so we randomly select an engine part to sabotage every few weeks in order to come hang with him and his mechanic buddies.

Our master bathroom is finally being finished, instead of being a big empty hole. Our landlord hired a guy to do the framing and tiling and all that fun jazz, and he's been working evenings to make it usable. I'm recovered from the disappointment of never getting to use the jacuzzi tub. Mostly because I heard they're a pain to keep clean, and I never get time to take baths anyway. Plus, going up the stairs to use the bathroom at all hours of the night has been good exercise.

Since new renters are coming into our house the beginning of December, we've been apartment hunting to find some place to live while Jessie educates himself. We only have two really important requirements: a) it must be cheap to save money for that pesky tuition, and b) it can't seem like it's really cheap. We feel confident such a paradoxical place exists. With washer dryer hookups and cheap utilities. So every day we go out looking for it. So far we've found a few candidates that somewhat equate this dream apartment mixed with reality, and we're going to look at a few more before we commit ourselves. Anyone wishing to suggest an apartment that meets these qualifications, is near Jessie's work in American Fork, and nearby to a beach and Disneyland, is welcome to make those suggestions.

So, that's our life in a nutshell. We're taking a break from all these wonderful things to enjoy Halloween, because I love Halloween. Our costumes are pretty spiffy, if sadly unrelated to each other. Jessie is going to be a hippie (for the coolness of this costume, see it modeled by my brother here), Madeline's going to be the cutest pumpkin ever, and I'm going to be a renaissance princess thanks to my wonderful sister who lent me a costume. Happy Halloween, everybody!

No comments: