Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Can I cross "Save Madeline" off my to-do list yet?

I have not been productive today at all. Sometimes, when this happens, I can convince myself that this is a bad thing and be productive the last few hours before Jessie comes home and clean and cook and organize and look like I'm a cool housewife who's on top of things. Actually, most of the time I get at least something done, because guilt starts to get to me if it's noon and all I've accomplished is getting a shower and putting a cup in the dishwasher. Today, however, I have no motivation. It's 4:00, and instead of going downstairs to fold the laundry or packing a box full of old textbooks, I'm writing in my blog and reading about perfect strangers' lives. Don't judge me though. You know this could be you next Friday. Or two years from Friday, depending on your marital/parental/career/health status. Besides, it's very hard to do anything productive when you have to rescue a six-month-old every two minutes who loves to pull herself into a standing position on the couch, the walls, the safety gate, her crib, dining room chairs, televisions, kiddie activity centers, etc., but has not yet grasped the concept of how to get down without falling. Although she has grasped the concept that falling hurts. So there's a lot of standing and screaming, "Help me mom! I've exceeded my own expectations and I'm going to die of a concussion if you don't come bend my legs for me and show me how to sit down by myself! Because I didn't quite catch it the last two hundred times we did it. SAVE ME NOW!!" Which actually sounds like "AHHHHHHH! AHHHH!", but I've become a pretty good interpreter.

No comments: