Monday, September 22, 2008

Madeline: Mobile Version 2.0

Madeline is starting to crawl. This both immensely pleases me and makes me want to cry. Of course, I'm very proud, as those of you who read my post on her ability to roll over will already know. On the other hand, she's mobile, and my house is not child proof. Gone are the days when Jessie and I can sit on the floor and play cards and let Madeline play right next to us. She has already ruined several Phase 10 cards, marking one of our sixes for life. And we had to say goodbye to the fan, which she kept trying to pull over on herself. (Thank goodness it's cooling off.) She likes to change channels with the remote, check out the air vent, try to pull all of her diapers and socks out of the corner, get stuck under the bed, and try to climb up her bouncy chair and the couch (which thankfully, she still cannot do. Because we haven't lowered her crib yet. We need to get on that so she doesn't die. Because apparently that is bad parenting.) I thought this wasn't supposed to happen for a few more months. I'm not ready. We visited Jessie's sister and her new baby last weekend, and it was so nice to hold a newborn that doesn't cry or squirm or try to eat envelopes and sleeps all the time. It's a shame you're too tired and sore from giving birth the first time to fully appreciate how easy that is. At least now I know that having one little baby is twenty times easier than four or five little kids running around. I must be getting smarter.

Speaking of getting smarter, I think Jessie has figured out that him winning card games is not as satisfactory as letting me win so I'll be in a good mood. My husband is no dummy. He already knows that a bag of Dove chocolate will gain him forgiveness/tolerance of all but the most grievous errors. That's why I married him. He learns fast.

No comments: