Friday, August 29, 2008

Babies should be immune from stupid superstitions. I hope.

I knew Madeline would be a troublemaker, but I didn't expect her to ruin the first seven years of her life in one fell swoop. Today she was sitting in front of our little mirror, admiring herself (which is one of her favorite hobbies). I was trying to be a good parent and hold her hand, so she wouldn't fall over into the mirror, or kick over on top of herself, when she lunged forward and smacked the glass with her face. It broke rather impressively, although I naturally was not focused on that on the time, but rather worried I had just allowed my daughter to kill herself. We escaped with only a tiny, tiny little pinprick beneath her eye, thank heavens. And I resolved forthwith to go buy an unbreakable mirror.

I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose. Madeline has had all kinds of exploits lately. She can sit up on her own for a little bit, and also has discovered how to scoot forward (but only if there's something she really wants in front of her, and if it's close enough to reach before she gets tired and frustrated). She keeps trying to pull herself up her bouncy chair from the floor, which means I am forever moving it around the front room, and the other day she somehow managed to get into the cabinet beneath the television and started pulling out coloring books. And I can't eat anything in her vicinity because food is now the most interesting thing on the planet; if it's close enough to grab, she will latch on and make a mess, and if it's too far away to get to, she looks at me reproachfully and yells every time I take a bite and don't give her any. It's a good thing she;s still cute as a button. She gets more smiley every day too, and I count myself lucky that she mostly only causes problems when she's being happy and entertaining herself. It's always refreshing when I can laugh at the complications Madeline causes.

No comments: