Friday, August 8, 2008

I would not wear skintight revealing attire even if I was in the Olympics. Ugh.

I'm pretty excited for the Olympics to start. I've never been as big a sports fan as my brother (love you Curtis) but there's something about the Olympics that I just love. Maybe it's the same reason I love March Madness. It's a one-time shot in the biggest competition ever, where underdogs can get gold medals and every event is life or death for the people in it. Then, of course, you've got the patriotic angle, so you've got a personal stake in athletes you've never heard of before, and you won't even be accused of being a bandwagon jumper. My favorite event has got to be gymnastics. So the last Olympics, when the good old US of A did so well in the individual competitions, I was extremely pleased. Swimming is great too-except for the Speedos. Goodness, I hate Speedos. I know they're supposed to be aerodynamic and everything, but they are SO UGLY. That's right. I rarely use caps to make a point, but I feel very strongly about this one. I was watching a story this morning on the news about the new aerodynamic Speedos that all the athletes had to have this year, because they supposedly make you super fast. Even the star swimmer of Japan is wearing them instead of the top Japanese brand he's supposed to wear to support national pride, which, and I quote from the newscaster, "is akin to LeBron James wearing Puma with Nike's blessing". Apparently they're super hard to get into as well; you have to wear little plastic sleeves or oil and Band-aids on your fingers and toes to get the swimsuit over them, and then you unroll it like pantyhose. As a big opponent of pantyhose, I have to wonder if they really want to win that badly. At any rate, I'm just glad they'll be something good on for the next few weeks. I've been watching way too much Judge Judy.

No comments: