Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Madeline's awake; Jessie's working; I'm trying to stay alert

I think I am finally coherent today. It's always good when it takes you until 4:00 to be fully awake. The culprit is, of course, Madeline. I thought we were past the days when she woke up every night every three hours, but she has recently indicated an interest in returning to these patterns. After almost a week of this behavior, I broke down and began feeding her rice cereal. This is an incredibly cute thing to watch, by the way. She never had a problem with the new flavor or eating off of a spoon; she just went right at it like a ravenous wolf, amazing both Jessie and I. (Especially since she won't touch formula. Silly girl.) The rice cereal helped for a while, but last night she had another repeat and decided to wake up every hour, in what is hopefully just another phase. All the books I've read on this say you should just let her cry herself back to sleep, but I'm finding this virtually impossible because a) it breaks my heart b) I get back to sleep more quickly if I just feed or cuddle her and c) she has the loudest scream on the planet and wakes up Jessie if I let her scream for more than a minute, from anywhere in the house. The last thing we need is Jessie falling asleep at work. ;-) So instead, I walk around like a zombie several mornings a week and am thinking about instituting a daily cry myself at 3 am every morning. Ah, motherhood. On the plus side, Madeline gets cuter every day (during the daylight hour, that is.) She very clearly recognizes Jessie and I and smiles so big when she sees me that it makes me forget I'm tired (sometimes).

On another topic: Congratulations to my sweet hubby for getting a raise at work! He's pretty much the best worker you've ever seen, so it didn't surprise me at all. Apparently his boss is just as obsessed with Excel and organizing as Jessie is. That's all I can figure.

No comments: