Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Adventures in Antimony

So our family is headed out this week to go camping, in the spirit of cheap summer vacations. Jessie's family annually makes a trip down to a little town called Antimony. It's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. When Jessie first told me about it, I was clueless that this little town even existed. I asked him where it was. It's by this little town named Koosharem that also has never been heard of. Turns out Koosharem is next to Sigurd. It also turns out that I've never heard of Sigurd. We went through three or four towns before he told me one that sounded vaguely familiar. Suffice it to say that this place is in southern Utah, a few hours away from here. Despite this encouraging description I've given you, I enjoyed the trip last year. Being out in the middle of nowhere does have its charms. The only problem we ran into was becoming stranded the day we were going to come home by huge wildfires that shut down the freeways. Whoops.

This year we shouldn't have that problem. I'm more worried about getting disowned by the family if Madeline starts screaming in the night. Or in the day, for that matter. That girl has the heartiest set of lungs west of the Mississippi, I think. Not only is she piercingly loud, but she has stamina. Last week, when we left her with Grandma Alyce, she cried at the top of her lungs for three hours. The child-raising books the doctors give you say you should just let a baby cry if you've tried everything; they'll calm down on their own. Lies. My one consolation is the hope that she'll be a famous Broadway singer one day. Here's hoping we don't wake up everyone in Antimony. :-)

No comments: