Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My daughter and my husband are completely self-sufficient. Drat.

Madeline decided she can feed herself. I blame Jessie. He gave her a spoon and helped her figure out how to use it. Or rather, how to use it just enough to make a mess. So last night, when I was trying to feed her delicious ham and rice, it went something like this. Mom loads the spoon with yummy goodness. Madeline refuses to open her mouth and twists her head around farther than should be humanly possible. Mom puts the spoon in Madeline's hand, and Madeline's mouth pops open. Mom has to reload the spoon, because Madeline would rather get the food out of the jar with her hand. Mom once again tries to put the spoon into Madeline's mouth, and is thoroughly rejected because Madeline is old enough to feed herself, thank you very much. Repeat until Madeline gets so tired that her eyes are half open, and she doesn't care who is shoving the food in her mouth as long as they do it quickly so she can go back to sleep.

In other news, we made Christmas cards. For the first time in our married life. And, once again, Jessie designed them. (It's a good thing he's so manly, because he's also awfully good at creating adorable cards/scrapbook pages, as well as cooking, cleaning, interior decorating, and all other things that would stereotypically be my job. I told him that one of these days, I would learn to be the chief homemaker of the family, but in the meantime, I appreciate him filling in.) Because we are poor, pretty much only immediate family is privileged enough to get a printed version of our Christmas cards, but in the spirit of using technology and saving ourselves postage, we're sending out an e-version to any interested parties. And maybe eventually I will post it here, in order to make my blog look cute and festive and visual, because apparently I need to take more pictures. Or maybe I'll let Jessie do it and abandon all plans to retake my title as homemaker extrodinaire. It's a good thing he can't get pregnant, or I'd be completely out of a job.

No comments: