Saturday, December 27, 2008

I think vampires sabotaged my television

I just started reading the Twilight series, because I'm trying to work on my tendency to refuse to read/watch something just to avoid following the crowd. Jessie's been laughing his head off at me as I go, because I complain about how dumb they are every ten minutes, but I can't put them down. Basically, I acknowledge Meyer's writing skills and ability to create a riveting plot, but I am one hundred percent against teenage angst and sappy love stories. As in, if I hear Bella and Edward argue over who loves who more one more time, I'm going to hurl. And then egg Meyer's house. For the record, I'm totally opposed to the Romeo/Juliet concept, and I think a book about realistic true love would be exquisitely boring to everyone but the two people it detailed. Jessie challenged me to write a realistic love story that isn't boring. I'll get around to that when I have any spare time. So maybe when Madeline is fifty.

Speaking of Madeline, I think it's safe to say she got incredibly spoiled this Christmas. Basically, if she ever gets bored again, it's her own fault, because she's got enough toys to keep an army of toddlers happy. Jessie and I didn't make out too badly ourselves. In fact, we even sort of have television again, thanks to the rabbit ears my mother bought us. To celebrate the ten fuzzy channels we now receive and the return of technology from a more innocent time, our television decided to only show things in black and white. A sort of tribute to the television of yore. We're not quite sure why our television decided this was a good idea, or why our television is making decisions unilaterally that I think in all fairness should be mine and Jessie's to make, but whatever. I'll console myself with my access to FOX news and a batch of maple bells.

No comments: