Friday, December 5, 2008

Fake trees do not a fake christmas make. Because my husband said so.

I have written many a facebook status since that blessed institution has been introduced, mostly out of boredom. And most went unnoticed by the public eye. So I was surprised when my decision about whether to buy a real or a fake tree incited quite a few comments, most with decided opinions. I had never really realized before how passionate people are about this, um, "issue". For lack of a better term. Jessie and I didn't quite see eye to eye on it either.

I had grown up with a real tree, and had lots of quality memories of going to pick out a tree. We'd bundle up, sing carols on our way to the store, and then run amuck through the tree lot, searching out the perfect tree. And invariably argue, since there were four of us kids with opinions that never matched. But that was part of the fun. And eventually we would somehow agree, and drag the tree home on the top of the car. And eventually get around to decorating it. We all got a new ornament every year, so we each had our own bag of ornaments to put on the tree. And mine were all the coolest, obviously.

Jessie's family always did a fake tree. I would tell you the wonderful memories associated with that, but I have none.

Actually, I don't think Jessie has any sort of special attachment to a fake tree because of his childhood. It just meant he didn't see the tree as a particularly sentimental investment, but an economical one. And there are a zillion practical reasons to get a fake tree. In short, it's cheaper, cleaner, and less of a hassle. Jessie's a smart man. He thinks with his head. He saw no reason we should get an expensive, messy, hard to transport tree that will probably burn down our home.
I tried to explain to him that it was a memory making experience our kids had to have. He was probably thinking our kids would rather have the money we saved in their nice sensible college funds.

Eventually, since our marriage is apparently stronger than a small disagreement about Christmas trees, we compromised. We currently have a deal involving using our cool fake tree that I got at a 50% off sale for some years, and getting a real tree some years (complete with memories and dry needles.) I have to admit, our tree doesn't look too shabby. And it's fun having the festive holiday atmosphere. But I'm looking forward to taking Madeline to a tree lot some day to fight with her siblings over which tree is the coolest. And Jessie will probably think I'm crazy, but since he's a good husband, he'll suck it up and let me have my bug infested tree and maybe even agree to take turns watering it.

P.S. I changed my blog colors to appear Christmasy, because apparently this is a cool thing to do and everyone is making their blogs festive nowadays. I did not add pretty Christmas pictures or themed borders and such because this seems too much like scrapbooking, which we all know is beyond my grasp. Enjoy the holiday spirit.

No comments: