Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas is a great time to try as many ways as possible to injure yourself.

I love snowstorms when I'm at home, cuddled in a blanket, with a good movie and nowhere to go. I don't like driving in snowstorms. It's the one time I'm glad Jessie is the designated driver in our family. (Can you have a designated driver in a non-alcoholic family? Whether you can or not, we do. But I'd like to publicly state that I do not consume strong soda before driving. That would be irresponsible.) We got to drive down to Springville yesterday right before the storm hit, and on the way back we almost died. A lot. Mostly because people in Utah don't know how to drive in a snowstorm. My only theory is that they all just barely moved here. Yesterday. And thus haven't figured out that snow requires driving slowly and carefully, which is counter-intuitive, I know, but they'll figure it out in the end.

I also got to go to Salt Lake yesterday, which was a lot better drive, and help my mom make Christmas cookies for my slacker missionary brother, who thinks he has better things to do than spend all day making cookies. The first time I tried to pack the cookies for him, they all broke, which was very tragic. Because then we had to make more and I had to eat all the broken ones to destroy the evidence. It was hard, but I managed. Plus Bryce helped me a lot. He's surprisingly adept at stealing cookies with only one arm. Because he broke the other arm. Twice. I told him to stop trying to impress the girls at school by swinging from the ceiling, but you know elementary school boys. I'm just surprised he didn't break it playing kissing tag. My brother Dale, who currently holds the record for most broken bones in the family, conceded defeat for most spectacular break on a single occasion. Jessie, on the other hand, hasn't. He broke both of his wrists jumping off the trampoline as a kid, so he's a strong contender. I'm just glad Madeline hasn't seen fit to have any major catastrophes yet, because I'm bad with blood and bones and would probably be puking in the bathroom while she's sitting there screaming because she broke her legs while trying to do gymnastics down the stairs. Then I'll call my mother.

No comments: