Monday, March 8, 2010

Sick Day

Yesterday was a sick day. It qualified as a full-fledged, official sick day because Madeline and I stayed home from church. Which is about our only real obligation in life, and the thus the only thing we can sluff. Madeline has been a snot factory all weekend, and I woke up with a sore throat, so we decided not to spread the joy to all the two year olds in the ward. Of which there are a trillion. Because then we would have a mob of moms calling for our heads.

Madeline wasn't cool with the whole sluffing thing. She saw Jessie get all dressed up and kept asking to go to nursery. She was so excited and cute I almost wanted to let her go. It reminded me of a time when I was in second or third grade. I got sick on Halloween, which we all know is a major bummer. I was supposed to be Pocahontas, and even though I'd been puking, I got all ready to go and begged my mom to let me go to school. She didn't. I was pretty upset. But now, fifteen years later, let me say this: Good call mom. Sorry I was a twerp. And thanks for letting me go trick or treating anyway, even though that mostly meant laying in the back of the van while my siblings picked up the candy.

Staying home sick wasn't as much fun as it was when I was a kid. Madeline was cranky, we were both bored, and I felt guilty I was watching Mary Poppins instead of dragging Madeline out of sacrament meeting. I guess you know you're old when you would rather be in sacrament meeting than singing I Love to Laugh. We did watch some church videos though. My mom recently gave us a couple of old tapes from my childhood, so Madeline could experience the joy of a Children's Songbook Sing Along, and a little nugget called Lorenzo's Songbook. If you have never watched Lorenzo's Songbook, you are cordially invited to my house for a life changing experience. I don't want to give anything away, but here are some teasers: 1990. Pioneer dog puppet. Banjo music. Over zealous and peppy young children. Old primary songs. Okay, that pretty much gives it all away. But it's great stuff. The movie even shut down on us after the television started eating the tape. Seriously. I was totally feeding old video film back into a case yesterday. I am so old school and awesome. Madeline loved it. She watched it with her stuffed dog, which she named Joey, after my parents dog.

Anyway. I think we're on the mend now, which is great news. But in our sickness-induced boredom, we started another puzzle, so you probably won't see us for two weeks while we finish it. (We're not extremely slow. I just gave us extra time for the inevitable eventuality in which Madeline smashes all of our work.)

No comments: