Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A happy story. If by happy you mean not.

It's been one of those days. Where I tell you about how naughty Madeline has been, rather than wasting brain cells coming up with a creative and original topic to blog about. Don't worry, it's a pretty good one. I kept Madeline in this morning instead of going for a walk because she was starting a runny nose, and I think she wanted to punish me. I was sitting on the couch reading a book, when I reflected on how quiet Madeline was being. I hadn't heard chairs scraping across the floor, or bowls being pulled from the cupboard, or cereal being dumped. Naturally this was worrisome. So I hightailed it into the kitchen. And lo and behold: Madeline had poured out three quarters a gallon of milk onto the floor. And was laying on her stomach trying to lap it up like a dog. Because apparently, "Please Mom, I want a drink" is so outdated.

Oh, but wait, it gets better. It went under the refrigerator, so I had to strain and push and move that monster so I could mop up milk. Turns out we haven't done that since we moved in, and it's pretty disgusting under there. So glad I got tackle that project today. And when I was pushing the refrigerator back into place, a really nice decorative plate given to us as a gift fell off the top. And broke. At that point I pretty much wanted to sit down and cry and call a mother's strike. But then Madeline would get to run amok through spilled milk and glass shards. And a trip to the emergency room would be icing on the cake. So now, despite my efforts, I have sticky floors, half a plate, and super glue all over my hands. You just know bedtime is going to be early today. (For me. Madeline and Jessie can stay up as late as they want.)

No comments: