Monday, March 1, 2010

Cami's Super Amazing Olympics Wrap-up

So. The Olympics are over, which is sad. Sad for me anyway. Madeline is pretty grateful, because she's not a big fan of skiing. Or Pretty much any winter sport except figure skating. I know you're all dying to know what I thought. Wait no longer. Here are my thoughts on a few things from the Olympics. Since I have pretty much failed to blog about them ever. Because I was busy watching them.

Canada: Seems like a pretty cool place. It made me want to watch polar bears and whales. Although I think they did themselves no favors with the closing ceremonies. If I was judging Canada based solely on the closing ceremonies, I would conclude they are a bunch of very unfunny people obsessed with hockey, maple leaves, and reindeer. Also that their women mounties moonlight as hookers. So I'm going to just remember the opening ceremonies, which made Canada seem much cooler.

Ice Dancing: Is not as wacky and irrelevant as I might have supposed before watching it. turns out it's pretty cool. Except for the weird Russians that like to make everybody mad about their costumes. Really, I thought the ones where they used ropes to swing each other around were worse than the aboriginal hooplah. I don't know much about ice dancing, but it seemed like cheating. Also, I love Davis and White, but Meryl didn't seem to be an ice dancing name to me. So I refer to them as Team Betty.

Speed Skating: Francois Hamelin is the evil brother who likes to take out Americans and gets rewarded for his evil machinations. I fully supported Ohno whacking him out of the race. He deserved it. Granted, this does mean Ohno deserved to be disqualified. But he wasn't getting a medal anyway, so might as well take out the Bad Evil Canadian. No offense to the other good Canadians. But to assure you I am an equal opportunity hater, Ohno was really driving me nuts as well. Never blame your loss on the judges. You just look pathetic.

Figure Skating: Plushenko is an egotistical dirtbag, albeit a talented one. I agree with Dick Button that his crazy arms are distinctly ugly to watch, and he is a villian. Hope he enjoys his platinum medal and the it gives him lots of frequent flyer miles. Kim Yu Na is great. South Korea should beat up Russia.

Skiing: Lindsey Vonn is good at crashing. And Julia Mancuso got screwed on the Super G. Still, Julia, no reason to start a cat fight. Also, Bode Miller vaguely reminds me of someone and it drives me nuts that I can't figure out who it is. I thought it might be Jessie's old roommate but Jessie doesn't think they look alike at all. So maybe I'm crazy.

Bobsled, Skeleton, and Luge: I couldn't watch these too much, because it terrifed the heck out of me.

Snowboarding: I learned that the key to winning a snowboard competition, whether it is snow board cross or half-pipe, is not falling down. This is why I would never win a snowboard competition. I also learned the having long shiny hair will help you win snowboarding medals.

Curling: I admit, I only saw one curling match. And promptly stopped watching it after the announcer called it a 'labor of love'.

Hockey: I didn't watch a single hockey game. I am not Canadian. I don't understand it. I don't know why people love it. I can't really get behind any sport where they only score every two weeks.

I know there are some other events I'm missing. Don't hate me because I'm forgetful. They were all very impressive, I'm sure.I'll miss you, Olympics. Here's to London.

1 comment:

Liz said...

the best thing about hockey is that the players can legally smash the opponent into the glass. i love the 'checking'; even if it is my team getting smashed. :)