Thursday, November 19, 2009

In which I ridicule popular media.

Today, I feel like ranting against popular culture. You have been warned.

Rant #1: Glee. I've tried to give it a chance, but I'm over it. I was actually excited after the pilot, but the show has since lost my support. Half the singers are too raspy and pop for me, the dancing is either beyond cheesy or sexually suggestive, and they all get these looks on their faces while they're singing that annoy me beyond belief. Looks that scream "I am trying to way cooler than I actually am, but even I would admit if pressed that this is all a bit ridiculous." And don't get me started on the plot. Like most night time soap operas, there is twenty times more drama than is feasibly realistic. And I'm pretty much opposed to the morals they're subtly and not so subtly pushing. They make us cheer for the other woman and hope she'll break up a marriage. The teenagers are all hormonal and way too quick to jump into bed with each other. And I'm not crazy about the way they're treating teenage pregnancy and gay relationships, although I know many people would disagree with me. (I won't go too much into either of those except to say that I think it's ridiculous that in television, when a straight person has a crush on a gay person, it's a comic device, and when a gay person has a crush on a straight person, they're a tragic figure. Yes, that's a huge generalization. But it feels like a double standard to me.) But enough moralizing. Because there is obviously plenty of trashiness on television besides Glee. I have to say, the ridiculousness of the music is my bigger grudge. Burn me at the stake.

Rant #2 : New Moon. I thought the books were okay. Mostly because the writing was very good, making it impossible to put down even if it annoyed you half out of your mind. And the first movie was considerably better than I feared, probably because I had heard horrible things about it and was expecting a really low budget film and horrible acting (think Annikan and Padme). But I just don't understand this craze to be first to see the movie. Or really, the obsession with the characters. I think Edward looks like a mannequin wearing way too much diamond makeup. And were he real, I wouldn't want to marry him. Not because of the blood sucking thing. We could work that out. More the moodiness. And the whole control freak thing. Nor is Jacob much better. Too needy and whiny. I'll probably see the movie. Eventually. After it's been in redbox for a month. I'll leave the overpriced late night movie tickets to the teenagers who know how to stay awake past ten.

1 comment:

Steph said...

i don't have all the same issues as you, but i do have some.

1. the wife with her fake pregnancy. i know tv shows aren't supposed to be realistic, but COME ON, like her husband wouldn't figure it out. they are MARRIED, which um, means you see things. and you TOUCH.

sigh, i have to stop on this one. but the fake pregnancy? not even a little feasible. that is all i ask, that a plot device is at least a LITTLE FEASIBLE.

2. i also hate how they make all teachers/school administrators seem like morons. sigh.

we (teachers) work so hard. some of us suck. some of us don't. MUST we be slaughtered in every high-school related tv show EVER???!!!

lastly, because apparently i too needed to vent, i just hate the teen pregnancy fake baby daddy thing. urgh. AND that there are no consequences. i hated the line where finn goes "my life is perfect, i'm popular, quinn is carrying my baby, and i just got to level three on (some video game.)

THAT ISN'T HOW TEENAGE PREGANCY WORKS.

ok. sorry for the novel. but that felt really good.