Monday, November 23, 2009

Mom vs. Dad

Jessie and I celebrated our anniversary this weekend, which meant Madeline got to stay with Grandma. Sometimes I wish it was just a little traumatic for her to be away from me (for her, not me. It is traumatic for me.) But since Grandma has a dog, a piano, and Uncle Bryce, she was only to happy to leave. I did think that perhaps she would be excited to see me when we went to pick her up. It seemed that way. I got out of the car before Jessie, and Madeline watched from my mother's window. Her face lit up, and she was smiling and jumping up and down. I went up to the door, opened it up and reached for her...and she ran right past me. "Daddy! Daddy!" she said. Ten minutes later, I convinced her to give me a hug. But only because I let her go right back to Dad.

I got my revenge today, though. We were sitting at the computer looking at pictures, because Madeline is (quite rightly) obsessed with her own image. I would click to a new picture and exclaim, "There's Mommy!", "There's Grandpa!", and "Look, it's Madeline!". So Madeline joined in. "Madeline!" she'd say. "Mama!" (Grandma.). "There's Mommy!". Then we got to a picture of a sea lion at Sea World. Without missing a beat, Madeline exclaims, "It's Daddy!"

I think maybe I'll make Madeline cookies.

No comments: