Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Tis the season...the monkey said so.

I almost made it. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to listen to Christmas music or decorate until after Thanksgiving. Otherwise I get sick of Christmas music by the actual day. Also, I feel kind of bad that Thanksgiving doesn't get to enjoy the limelight a little. So the only thing I've allowed myself to do is Christmas shopping, which I can pretend is run of the mill birthday shopping. And I pretend I don't see all the Christmas signs at the store.

But then, little things kept conspiring to force me into the spirit of the season. I got the urge to wrap a couple of the presents I bought. And you can't do that in birthday paper. And the radio stations are all playing Christmas music. After listening to straight country for the last two weeks, I started feeling tempted to cheat. The crushing blow, however, came this morning when I turned on some Curious George for Madeline. And it was an hour long, special Christmas episode. With singing and gift giving and tree shopping and cookie making. Stupid children's programming. Don't they know they should be putting on turkeys and stuffing and football? Now I feel the urge to make maple bells. And unpack our tree. And make snowflakes. I'm disgusted with myself. At least Thanksgiving is tomorrow. You can bet the day after that, we'll be listening to Christmas carols and breaking out the decorations. And it's all because of that dratted monkey.

No comments: