Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving and feasting and please, no one get concussions

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! I'm pretty excited about Thanksgiving. It's a great holiday. For one thing, everybody gets two days off instead of one, which makes it feel extra festive. For another, I never have to make anything more complicated than a relish tray, which is sweet. It's like a catered dinner. Also, there is always chocolate pie. I cannot dislike any day on which we celebrate by eating chocolate pie.

This is Madeline's first Thanksgiving, and I promised her a lot of mashed potatoes, to make up for the fact that I didn't let her snitch much from our breakfast. Because eggs are apparently bad for babies. Madeline disagreed, but being about eight times her weight and a lot smarter, I prevailed. Even when she tried begging from Dad. Jessie claims I'm a dictator, but I think that's not a bad thing when I'm right. Which is most of the time, right? So Madeline will have to wait until lunch for her feast like the rest of us. Maybe I'll be a nice mom and let her feed herself. And let Daddy clean up. Ha ha. (Just kidding Jessie. I'll clean it up. Because you were so nice and did the dishes this morning. That earned you a free pass all weekend. Unless you planned it that way, knowing it'd get you out of all other duties...hmmm...you might be smarter than I thought.)

Oh. I relented this morning and let Jessie go play football with the elder's quorum. But before you judge me as a controlling wife who only grudgingly lets her husband play once in a while, let me defend myself. The last time Jessie played football was on Thanksgiving about three years ago. He never made it to Thanksgiving dinner, because he got knocked out cold for four hours and woke up in the hospital with a concussion. So really, I'm just trying to protect him. But he claimed that the ground isn't frozen solid like last time, and so he'll be safe. I'm just hoping the elder's quorum will be nice to him since he's new. But if I miss my chocolate pie because someone's in the hospital, Jessie owes me big time.

No comments: