Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I can walk a mile without ever leaving my front room.

About a month ago I bought myself an exercise video from Ross. Mostly because, surprise, after about three weeks, the jogging idea kind of died. And then it got colder, and then we moved and I lost my fun little jogging path. So anyway, I bought this video called "Walk away the pounds". Mostly because all the others sounded harder. Never name an exercise video "Sweat away the pounds" or "Feel your muscles burn". These are scary names. But I can walk. I walk all the time. So I figured this nice, non-scary video would magically help me lose all the baby weight. Then, right after I bought it, we all got sick. Like constantly nauseated, constant headaches, napping all day for a week kind of sick. So I said a big resounding NO to exercise that week. With only minimal guilt. Then, we were in the middle of moving and I figured all the packing and hauling boxes was good enough, and my DVD player got packed up, so I felt absolutely no guilt not even thinking about my new video for a week. But after all the unpacking was over, and the video was sitting front and center on my shelf, I decided it was about time to stop procrastinating. It's actually kind of fun. I've been walking every day for a week now, and despite the fact that the instructor is a little too peppy and complimentary (So smart of you to exercise today! You're doing so great! You're going to have an energizing day! So glad you decided to walk with me today!), I feel like I'm accomplishing something. I even made Jessie do it with me last Saturday. He'd been laughing at me all week for saying things about how "we" were doing kicks and sidesteps today, and teased me about my new exercise "group". But I got my revenge when he looked ridiculous doing all the moves and pooped out halfway through the bonus10 minute abs workout, while I powered through like a pro. ( My abs were dying for two days afterward, but don't tell Jessie. It's always worth it to outdo your manly husband, right?) The only complaint I have about the whole exercise thing is that the instructor clearly didn't factor in active babies to the workout. It adds a whole new dimension to the workout. The instructor is lifting two pound weights over her head while I'm lifting a sixteen pound baby. In between sidesteps and kickbacks, she's going back to walking while I run over and rescue an adventurous seven month old from the stairs. And have you ever tried to do trunk curls with a baby pushing down on your head? I'd like to see peppy fitness lady do THAT.

No comments: