Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Oh. We got a new president. Can he get rid of my cold, please?

Well, we have a new president all picked out. Congratulations to Obama. Frankly, I'm just glad it's all over. I found it hard to be excited about election returns last night. I watched everyone on television crying and screaming and acting like the world had just been declared a war-free zone, and I was unmoved. Don't get me wrong. I don't necessarily dislike Obama. It was a tough choice for me on who to vote for, and I wavered back and forth many times before settling. On who, I won't tell you, because it's more fun that way. And I do think it's really cool that an African American is going to be our next president. But call me racist, I hope people voted for Obama because he's qualified for the job, not just because he's black. Because I think he has plenty of other great qualifications and that voting someone in just because it's historic, be it an African American or a woman or a disabled person or a Hispanic, is a pretty lousy reason. But anyway, back to last night. I'm sitting there listening to the news guy talk about how this is an extremely emotional moment for everyone in the nation, and perhaps the world, and I'm thinking to myself: I felt more emotional when I cried at Dr. Phil today than upon hearing we have a new president. (It's true. Blame it on PMS, but it's true.) So now, while everyone else is celebrating, I'm waiting for this guy to prove himself. I would have felt the same way with McCain. You talk big, Mr. President Elect, but now prove to me that you're better than George W. Bush, and that you know what's best for the country, and that you can fix things with your tax cuts and troop removal plans and change. And in four years, if you put your money where your mouth is, I'll be first to sing your praises and vote you in again. But for now, I'll just be glad I don't have to watch any more campaign ads. And sad that I won't get to see Tina Fay doing Palin impersonations on a regular basis.

No comments: