Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Madeline likes greeting people. By biting them. Ouch.

Madeline learned how to wave. It's awesome, because now whenever I say "hi" or "bye", she starts waving wildly, often with both hands, to demonstrate how great she thinks it is. Unfortunately, she's also figured out that "bye" means leaving, and when you say it she crawls up the gate and stands there and stares at you and wonders why you aren't taking her outside. This isn't so bad when we're actually leaving, but it's traumatic when Jessie is leaving for work and Madeline isn't invited. Apparently our front door is the portal to all things happy and magical and if you don't take you with her when you pass through it you are a mean, terrible person. Also if you don't let her into the bathroom with you. But that's a different story.

Speaking of Madeline. She's developed a fascination with my hair. Particularly with eating it. I always thought that hair tasted disgusting, but apparently I'm behind the times. Madeline thinks it's delicious and must be eaten whenever she is within two feet of my head. Which is great for her, but painful to me. Also painful is the biting. She recently decided biting me a lot was also cool. I know the poor girl is teething, but this is why we pay the big bucks for blocks and stuffed animals and rags and other things she can rip apart with her teeth. Sometimes it's frustrating you can't sit a ten-month old down and explain to her the logic behind not biting people and eating their hair. (Despite my misgivings, I actually tried it anyway. Madeline just laughed at me when I told her she was causing me bodily harm.) If anyone knows how to speak babbling toddler, please let me know. We're in need of a translator here. Also cookies. We always need cookies.

No comments: