Friday, February 20, 2009

An afternoon with Jane Austen and my feminine side.

Out of either boredom or a desire to seem more feminine, I recently checked out Pride and Prejudice from the library. The kajillion hour movie version. I've never actually watched it all the way through. My one and only foray into the picture was my freshman year of college, when my giddy roommates decided to start watching it at 2 AM late one Friday night (or early Saturday morning, if you want to look at it that way.) Why we decided to start a movie that late that was guaranteed to keep up up until dawn is an act of madness no male would ever understand. I was a little reluctant to watch such a blatantly romantic movie, being in the throes of gaining my reputation as a "maneater". However, two and a half hours later, as we approached the end of the first half of the film, I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that all five of my roommates were asleep on the couches and I was the only one still watching. Rather than embarrasing myself by continuing to watch solo, I gave up and went to bed disgusted with myself.

Now, however, being married and thus obligated to admit that I actually like at least one person of the male persuasion, I can finally finish watching it guilt-free. And during daylight hours when I'm coherent. That is, if Madeline leaves the cords connected to the television long enough. So that's how we're spending our Friday afternoon. Then Madeline and I will work on our cross-stiching and maybe starch some laundry. Whatever that means.

No comments: