Monday, February 23, 2009

Adventures in pretending to be culinary

So I decided to experiment with my cooking today. It makes me feel domestic and productive. Because then when Jessie walks in and says "what did you do today?" I have something to show him other than a baby covered in graham cracker crumbs. Alas, the experimentation doesn't always go well. Jessie would refer you to the buttermilk chicken incident. And yet I keep trying. Because one of these days I am going to suddenly become a gourmet cook. A fantastic one. And Jessie will thank fate that he married such a wonderful woman and gain 50 pounds. It will be wonderful.

Anyway, today we're trying baked spaghetti. I think it sounds a little far-fetched, because you have to cook the spaghetti first. Which is lame. I object to recipes that make me cook things multiple times. Which is why we normally have macaroni and cheese or ramen. But I'm going to try it anyway, because maybe baked spaghetti is oh so much more tasty than regular spaghetti and I've been woefully deprived my whole life. Unfortunately, I had to search for a while to find a recipe that had only kinds of cheeses that I recognized, and few fresh herbs or vegetables. Because the cooking forums think that ricotta cheese and green onions are "staples of everyone's pantry". They've never been to my pantry. They would probably be put into shock at the sight of my pantry. And my vegetable drawer. But I feel good about life. I may cook from a box five nights a week, but my daughter is cuter than those gourmet cooks' daughters. Eat that.

No comments: