Monday, January 12, 2009

Today's Blog, Starring: Miss Madeline

Well, I guess it's about time for another Madeline update. Because, clearly, she does not get enough press time in this blog. You'd never know I even have a daughter. Anyway, she just turned nine months old yesterday, and it's about freaking time. I've been telling people she was nine months for the last two weeks. Because eight and a half months is a lot longer, although more accurate. She has her nine month appointment tomorrow, which I am actually looking forward to. Meaning I was told there are no shots-just one oral vaccination. So we can enjoy finding out how chunky Madeline has become without the trauma of holding her hand and knowing I am aiding and abetting those mean old nurses.

Alas, the nine month appointment arrived before Madeline learned how to walk, thoroughly debunking my prophecy that she'd be walking by Christmas. You can't blame me on the early goal date, though, since she's been threatening to walk for three months. She takes her "first" steps every couple of weeks, and then chickens out and won't try again for at least seven days. Apparently her curiosity was enough to get her mobile early in life, but her bravery is a bit lacking. Although she finally got brave enough to try going down the stairs backwards, and is getting pretty good at it. Which means I spend less time rescuing her, and more time doing whatever it is I do when I'm not rescuing Madeline. Like trying to get her to walk, because I am a mean mother.

Another cool skill we are working on is feeding ourselves. And when I say we, I mean Madeline, because contrary to popular opinion, Jessie and I are pretty good at using silverware and the like. So far, Madeline has learned how to get small treats and potatoes into her mouth with her hand, and how to grab a spoon when I'm feeding her. Left to her own devices, however, she generally tries to eat the handle and then throws the spoon on the floor in disgust when it doesn't behave the way she would like. We also tried drinking from a cup, but since Madeline is usually much more interested in dunking her hands than satisfying her thirst, that endeavor is coming along more slowly.

That concludes our Madeline update. Until tomorrow, when she'll undoubtedly be amazing and blog worthy at her doctor's appointment, and I'll regale you with her height/weight/genius IQ and future plans for med school and Nobel Prize winning.

No comments: