Saturday, January 24, 2009

This is how we entertain ourselves at the Warner household.

We've been watching way too much of The West Wing at our house. My sister lent me the first three seasons, to give me something to do while Madeline is busy chatting up her blocks and chewing on my nail files. Jessie was initially skeptical of my enthusiasm for the series, but I knew he secretly was mighty curious to watch an episode himself. So, after some coercion and much protest from Jessie, he watched a few episodes. I am now proud to report that I have turned my husband into a West Wing addict. He's officially watched one and a half seasons in the past two weeks. He likes to point out that I've watched every single one of those with him, as well as another season on my own. I have no defense. I spend all day watching West Wing and neglecting my house, child, husband, and talents. But now I can run a political campaign if I felt the urge, so I consider it a necessary sacrifice.

I also finally got a library card this week, in the interest of becoming educated and brilliant instead of having everything I know come from the West Wing and facebook. I had to wait until I got some mail addressed to me instead of Jessie, so they would believe I live in Pleasant Grove and am not trying to mooch off their library without paying taxes. Because it is a horrible thing to let people just read books for free, just because they want to be more educated. I got a few books for Madeline, which she's enjoying thoroughly, although she keeps trying to get me to see that she'd enjoy it more if I let her rip out all the pages. I also got a few for me, including some light fun reading (because I haven't read Harry Potter enough times), and a few more serious things. Right now I'm working on Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I read Anthem in high school, and didn't die, so I thought maybe I could get through this one too. Afterwards I was thinking Madeline and I could write essays on the philosophical ideas presented in our books and share them with each other. I'm interested to see what deep philosophies she got out of Dr. Suess' Sleep Book. She sure didn't get sleepy from it. Drat.

No comments: