Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A bit of ranting. You have been warned.

The Sugar Bowl caused me a lot of grief. I admit it. Instead of being a good, caring person who recognizes without bias when someone has performed well, I rooted against the Utes and was very bitter when they pulled it off. We won't get into the whole ordeal. I was thoroughly chastised by pretty much everyone in Utah for not having state pride and supporting Utah. That's fine. I'm okay with being the lone person in Utah who's not happy for the Utes. Maybe I'll get my house egged or my car spray painted red, which would lend credibility to my bitterness. One can only hope.

But all bias aside, I'm pretty disgusted with the news reports that there may be legal action against the BCS since Utah can't play for the championship. (Which I'm surprised they managed to slip in in between all the news stories about the Utes. I swear, the headline tomorrow will be UTES WON THE SUGAR BOWL. IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T HEARD. Or maybe UTAH CITIZENS BURN BCS HEADQUARTERS AS OBAMA DECLARES UTAH THE #1 FOOTBALL TEAM IN THE UNIVERSE.) Anyway, back to the legal action thing. Apparently Utah's attorney general wants to prosecute the BCS under anti-trust laws. Does anyone else think this is ridiculous? If I remember anything from high school history (which, granted, may be debatable), that law was put in effect to break up giant monopolies. Not to carry out personal vendettas against the big bad bully who won't admit that my team is number one in the whole freaking universe. The BCS is stupid. It is a stupid system that is broken and should be changed. But being stupid isn't illegal. Otherwise all the people on Judge Judy would be locked up in prison instead of getting lambasted by someone much smarter than them on national television.

Ah. I feel much better getting that out of my system. Enough to say congratulations, Utes. But not quite enough to donate any money to the marching band to go to Washington. If anyone wants to give me money to go to Washington, feel free.

No comments: