Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sleeping isn't something we do here.

Madeline is driving me nuts. This shouldn't surprise most of you. This time it's because of her sleeping habits. Or rather, her lack of sleeping habits. I suppose I should just be grateful she always sleeps through the night-and I am. But she goes through phases when she sleeps 8 or nine hours a night, and then 10 or 11. Or she wants to wake up at 5:30 AM, and then she'll sleep until almost seven for three or four days in a row, and then randomly want to wake up at 4:30 AM. Like today. Her naps are no better. Some days she'll sleep a total of half an hour all day, and then other days she'll take 2 hour naps. I read somewhere that kids are supposed to have schedules because it provides stability or something. If Madeline ever complains to me at some future date of having no stability in her life, I'm giving her extra chores. And a lecture on what comes around goes around, and how I hope her children are erratic.

Her strange sleeping habits probably wouldn't aggravate me so, except that I am not a morning person in any sense of the word. Before becoming a mother, I never woke up regularly before eight or nine. Except when I had early morning custodial jobs that didn't require coherency. Scrubbing toilets and mopping floors I can pretty much do on autopilot. Come to think of it, I can pretty much feed, change, and entertain Madeline on autopilot too. Isn't it great how my body can adapt and evolve to allow me to delay fully waking up? Darwin would be proud.

No comments: