Monday, April 12, 2010

She had a birthday, shout hooray.

Will it surprise anyone that this post is late? Yeah, I didn't think so. On to the main event.

Yesterday, our wacky and wonderful toddler hit the big 2-0. Well, 2-point-0. Anyway, it was a big birthday milestone. Exceedingly exciting frivolity and mirth abounded. Since you never, ever, ever get to hear about Madeline on this blog, allow me to wax eloquent about why we love the little mischief maker.

1. We are so much more cultured since she has come into our lives. We know all the songs to Mary Poppins by heart. Jessie doubled his knowledge of primary songs. I have seen more episodes of Curious George than I ever did in college. Yes, I know my education was lacking.

2. We like being on a strict sleeping schedule. Madeline sure helps with the whole early to bed early to rise thing. And she keeps me alert by randomly screaming at various times throughout the night. If we ever have to sleep in a war zone, with our lives depending upon our keen senses, I will live and Jessie will die. This is comforting to know.

3. Madeline makes us appreciate gospel principles. Like temples. And prophets. We get to spend more time on lds.org looking at uplifting photos than ever before. And we get to appreciate the knowledge that there is a pseudo temple in our backyard everytime I open the back drapes. If you lived in front of a temple too, you would feel the joy.

4. We've doubled the number of shoes in our house. This has to be a good thing. And Jessie's share of the shoes went from about 5% TO 2.5%. Plus his aren't nearly as cute. Poor Jessie.

5. Madeline helps me make friends. I try to emulate her tactics to get to know people, but mostly they look at me funny if I admire their boots loudly in the grocery store.

6. We go to the park more often now. And trust me, I need it, as my ability on the monkey bars has sadly plummeted since second grade.

7. Madeline puts on shows for us. Always original and entertaining, and very much free. You have to bring your own popcorn, but it's not so bad once you get used to it.

8. She's just cute. I would upload proof, but blogspot hates me. Also I need to download pictures and I can't find my cord. Shocking, I know.

Anyway, we're just pleased as punch that she made it to her second birthday alive and happy and relatively well-adjusted. I think. Celebrations included kite-flying, McDonald's, cake, and a new high chair and pack and play for her baby doll that sent her into throes of ecstasy. (McDonald's and kite-flying were on Saturday. I know you thought we high-tailed it over there after church. Don't worry, we were too busy sitting around in our perfectly tailored Sunday clothes reading from the bible and listening to EFY music, like we do all day every Sunday.) Anyway. We do really love her and can't imagine what the heck we did before she came along. Happy birthday, Madeline, and may you stay two forever so that I don't have an emotional breakdown. Thank you.

No comments: