Thursday, January 21, 2010

The mechanic is the best place to pick up guys.

This morning Madeline and I went to get new tires for our car, so that we don't die. Because we almost died about ten times this morning in the snowstorm, because our tires are very bald. Anyway, we did some shopping while they were working on the car, and then came back and sat in their lobby while thy finished up. Madeline was having a lot of fun running around touching all the tire displays and trying to pour herself a cup of coffee. Until a man came in with his son- the Boy. Madeline was immediately smitten with the Boy. She ran up to him and said "Hi!", and proceeded to blush and bat her eyelashes and wring her hands and look at the floor. Seriously, the girl is a natural born flirt, which I assume she got from her father. Because I still think flirting means carving man-eating pumkins and putting them outside your door as a warning. But, I digress. Madeline would not leave the Boy's side, even though I had brought many toys and cookies and books to entertain her. She jabbered at him, showing him around the Firestone lobby. When he went into the restroom, she waited just outside the door until he emerged, saying "Where go?" the whole time. She showed him her cute boots (Shoes!) and took great interest in his race car shoes. Now the Boy, being a male, was a bit overwhelmed under the power of Madeline's wily charms. In other words, he was incredibly nervous and didn't utter a word, but just stared at her. Madeline didn't mind making all the moves though. She tried to climb right up onto his chair with him, but I felt that was a bit forward, so I intervened.

Things were going swimmingly for our little Juliet-until they finished our car. Then I turned to her and told her to put on her coat, and her face became striken. "No coat! No!" She cried. And she proceeded to try to climb into the Boy's chair again, and latched onto his arm. All my pleas that it was time to go home had no effect. Finally, I dragged her kicking and screaming from the store, while she was yelling "Bye! Boots! Bye!" and crying all the way. And she sobbed halfway home. I felt like Lady Capulet, separating two star-crossed lovers. Well, except the Boy just mostly seemed relieved to get Madeline off his chair. But I'm sure he was hurting on the inside. I guess the first love is always a heartbreaker. But there's nothing a cup of yogurt and a cookie can't cure.

No comments: