Thursday, May 7, 2009

Return of the sleep wars

So every time I think we've officially gotten Madeline on a sleep schedule, she likes to let me know she's still in charge. The past week, she's been exerting control by waking up way too early. As in between 5 and 6 AM too early. Did I mention I'm not a morning person? I tried to put her to bed later so she'd wake up later, and she woke up earlier instead. And also a few times in between. And, may I mention, ridiculously tired and cranky, and very committed to staying awake as long as possible. And I can't utilize the whole crying it our strategy to get her back to sleep, because she's got a little cough, so she stands in her crib crying and coughing pitifully until I feel cruel and sadistic (read: 45 seconds.) To top off the joy, she refuses to nap properly again. She was taking a two hour nap in the middle of the day, and it was a relief to kind of know what to expect. But then she went back to the whole sleep-for-twenty-minutes-every-couple-of-hours thing. Or the wake up at 6 and don't take a nap until 3:30 PM gambit. Basically, we'll be fighting about her sleeping habits the rest of our lives. Or at least until she has a younger sibling whose sleep schedule is more objectionable.

Oh. Did I mention this whole sleep thing came at the same time as the new and improved temper tantrums?

I'll be crying into my pillow if you need me.

No comments: