Friday, September 30, 2011

Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dogs' Tails

So once we found out it's a boy, I suddenly felt motivated. I've had no inclination to start preparing the baby's room or prepare baby stuff because frankly, the room is occupied. And all the baby stuff is out. But a boy...oh boy. I suddenly felt the need to have everything ready-the room, the name, the wardrobe, and it has to be done today. Which is totally irrational, because we kind of have over four months until any of it will matter. But try telling that to my hormones. So yesterday I started going through the newborn baby clothes to pull out anything neutral and pack away everything pink, purple, frilly, lacy, and flowery. And man, was that emotional. Because I am completely ridiculous. Let me clarify: I am ecstatic it's a boy. It's supposed to be a boy. I feel really good about a boy. But I am terrified of boys. As I put away everything feminine I felt like I was losing my footing. My little boy can't wear pretty dresses. Little adorable newborn babies that fit tiny shoes and bows and onesies are supposed to be girls. I can't wrap my head around this foreign idea. And I felt like the era of girls was being wrested away from me. What if those tiny girl clothes never come out again? Rationally I know they probably will, because we plan on having several more children, but you never know what life will bring. What if my future is blue? See how ridiculous I am? I was basically having a nervous breakdown in Kimberly's closet. I had to take several deep breaths and remind myself that I have two beautiful girls, including a wonderful baby girl, that I can dress up in pink and frills to my hearts content. Who will buy prom dresses and wedding dresses and high heels and be girly. And boys will be awesome too. And we will have free lawn mowing in ten to fifteen years. So everything will turn out all right.

Fortunately, my mother and sister have taught me the proper way to deal with emotional breakdowns, and I grabbed my Kid to Kid gift certificate and went out to get psyched about little men. Turns out the little boy's section is awesomely reassuring. I bought a bunch of onesies and outfits that say manly things like "Daddy's Team" and "Football" and have pictures of balls and dogs and come in blue and green. And I felt a lot better. So never fear, we're still psyched up about a boy. I just might be a little bipolar until he's here and I can hold him and realize newborn boys aren't a different species. Just a different chromosome.

1 comment:

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

maybe they're not a different species, but man, they're different. i'm sure you've heard how much harder it is to change their diapers. first there's the pee that flies all over the places instead of nicely down into the diaper. and they have so many more....crevices. poop just gets everywhere. so fun! but the world needs more men raised by lovely people like you guys, so yay!