Thursday, July 22, 2010

What was lost, now is found.

"Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one apiece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?
And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost."
-Luke 15:8-9

Usually I'm not the sort of blogger that starts a blog with scripture. But today is a special occasion. Basically, my mind was blown today. Because things like this don't happen.

Here's the deal: two years ago I lost my wedding ring. It was kind of a big deal. I cried a lot. I had put it somewhere safe while my fingers blew up like sausages while I was pregnant with Madeline, and when the baby dust had settled, I couldn't find my ring anywhere. I ripped apart the house, I searched every crevice, every drawer, every bag, every pocket. We went through two moves where I searched every box coming and going. Eventually, I gave up the ring for lost. Last Christmas, Jessie gave me a replacement ring, which was an incredibly sweet thing for him to do, and I was feeling better about the whole situation.

Then, today, I was going through Madeline's baby things and boxes to try and find the bumpers for the new baby's crib. I was moving a pile of blankets off of a box.

And out fell my ring.

I was flabbergasted. Wedding rings that have been missing for two years do not just suddenly fall out of piles of blankets that we've been using regularly. But there it was.

The only thing I can think of is that it fell out of an upside down duffel bag that was on top of the pile of blankets. A duffel bag that I had searched inch by inch at least half a dozen times. Crazy and totally unlikely, but there you go. Needless to say, I am beyond thrilled to have my wedding ring back. Besides being a rather expensive investment, it obviously has a lot of sentimental value. I don't know how it managed to show up, but I'm assuming there was probably a minor miracle or two behind it. And I've probably used up my good luck and or blessing quota for the next year. But I'm okay with that.

Thank heaven for small miracles.

No comments: