Monday, August 31, 2009

Happy fall. Or spring. I've forgotten which.

Hey. It's the last day of August. That could really mean less to me. I'm having season withdrawals. Basically, while everyone else is rejoicing in sending kids back to school, or backpack shopping, or whatever else, I'm trying to remember what month it is. Because our schedule has changed exactly Not at All. Jessie goes to work. Jessie goes to school. We go to church. Madeline and I fight about sleeping schedules and try to keep up with laundry and make cookies too often. If I hadn't been counting down two years to this August, I'd probably still think it was June. When I get dressed for church, I freak out and have to remember if we're past Easter and before Labor Day so I can wear white shoes. Not that I wouldn't wear them anyway. Because I am a rebel. But I like to know I'm being rebellious so I can enjoy it.

Madeline, on the other hand, always knows when she's being rebellious, and always enjoys it, too. Basically she doesn't like to do anything unless she thought of it herself. I'll get out her milk because she's standing in front of the fridge, tugging on the handle, and she'll throw it on the floor. So I put it just out reach on the counter, and all of a sudden she pushing chairs over to get it down because she wants it so badly. Same thing applies to getting into the bathtub, getting dressed, or changing a diaper. If I tell her to do it, she unfailingly resists. But if I suggest it and pretend I could care less, she's all of a sudden eager. This does not bode well for the teenage years. It's a good thing I'm an expert at reverse psychology. And general trickery.

No comments: