Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year. Check.

Ha. Did I say I was working on a New Year's post? I'm only about four days late. Blame it on the fun we're having trying to get two girls to sleep in the same room. On the bright side, they've been sleeping in a little bit later than usual, which has the unintended side effect of proving to me I can be functional at seven if I don't have to wake up an hour before that. But I have thought about some New Year's goals. Mostly they are pretty short term. Survive until I have this baby. Try not to let my kids run wild. Try to keep my house in some semblance of order. Huge goals like that. I've decided to keep my sanity by not trying to make huge goals right now. So in honor of New Year's, I will instead give you a list of goals we've already accomplished this year, because we are awesome. Because that's much more fun than coming up with more things you have to do.

1. Move girls into the same room. Check. We won't mention the fact that we're still miles away from smooth napping and bedtimes. But their beds are in the same physical space. Score.

2. Get ready for baby. Check. Crib, car seat, bassinet, clothes, hospital registration, diapers, binkis, etc. Jessie got motivated and now all systems are go. The only problem is we've still got six weeks until D-day. Drat it all. And we haven't settled on a name yet. But babies don't need names. Just diapers. So we can totally cross this off.

(Random belly picture to show you how hard we are working on this baby thing. We take our goals very seriously.)

3. Put away Christmas. Check. We have successfully killed the Christmas spirit. All cheery decor has been safely stowed and hidden away. The front room is back to normal and Christmas treats were consumed and converted to fat. The piles of toys all over our house with no home are a different story. We don't talk about that.

4. Party like it's 2012. Check. We are fun machines. We've attended New year's parties, played Jessie's new Ticket to Ride game, attended a Jazz game/girls night, eaten eclairs, made cookies, and basically just been awesome. We're exhausted. But awesome.

5. Fulfill public speaking duties. Check. Jessie was supposed to give a talk in church on Sunday, but didn't have to because he spoke after a returned missionary who kindly used the whole meeting and got Jessie off the hook. Jessie knew this would probably happen, so he wasn't broken up about it, and I feel like this has probably gotten him off the hook for talking for another year. And more importantly, gets me off the hook to have to talk with him. Score.

That seems like a good list. Suddenly I feel very accomplished and productive. For the first time this year. I love revisionist histories. I feel like you all should go set New Year's goals to be as awesome as us. Hope your year is a ball of fun so far.

1 comment:

Scarlett said...

Glad to hear you survived Christmas and New Years. Sounds like it was great for your fam. Congrats on having the girls in the same room. Hopefully that continues to go well for you.