Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Milestones and merriment

Well, we've officially made it to one month. The hormonal mother inside me cringes to write that. Because Kimberly is much better at eating than Madeline was, she's chunking up a lot faster. (My baby has rolls of leg fat! Hallelujah!) But this means she's not a tiny newborn anymore, and that makes me sort of want to cry. But I am cheered by the fact that she's now more alert, and therefore more fun to play with. We have wars sticking our tongues out at each other. And somehow with all the poking and prodding and dumping her sister out of her bouncer chair, Madeline earned the first smiles of Kimberly's life that I'm fairly certain were not motivated by gas. Which I think is not really fair, but since I am unwilling to hit the baby in order to keep up in the popularity contest, I've resigned myself to the fact that Madeline will always be cooler than Mom to her little sister.

Life has actually been pretty busy, even with a newborn. We're gearing up for Christmas. we managed to motivate ourselves enough to make Christmas cookies, although we haven't yet summoned up the energy to deliver them. Maybe some of our neighbors will get some before I eat them all and blame the extra weight on the baby. Madeline has helped wrapped some presents (sorry to anyone who gets presents from us), and we made a Christmas chain to count down to the joyous day. And Madeline learned to say "ho, ho, ho". So pretty much we're a festive bunch around here.

No comments: