Friday, December 31, 2010

In honor of Auld Lang Syne

I know I haven't blogged in too long when Jessie notices my lack of witty anecdotes. I did tell you I would be slacking off. And between a wonderful Christmas, the whole family down with colds, and a few other personal family matters, I didn't have the time or heart to be blogging. But I can't let the calender roll over to 2011 without registering my existence in the virtual world. So, for your pleasure, here is Cami's Annual New Year's Thoughts of Importance! Otherwise known as my fake New Year's Resolution list. I thought about actually making *gasp* real resolutions, but dismissed that idea on the grounds that it would make me accountable and perhaps inspire actual change. Ugh. So instead, I have decided to make a list of the top ten things I resolve NOT to do this year. It's so much easier than being proactive and accomplishing things.

Unresolved:

1. I will not learn Spanish. I've been meaning to learn Spanish ever since I married Jessie so that someday we can serve a mission together to parts Spanish speaking. Except for the first few months when I learned to say "sinners can repent and see the light" and "my husband is handsome", I have not learned any Spanish. I will now assuage my guilt by committing to make no organized effort to become proficient this year.

2. I will not travel to Boston in the fall. You laugh, but I actually wanted to do this. Jessie and I had big plans. Then we decided that an appendectomy, a new baby, a new dishwasher, student loans, a van, and food all rank above airline tickets on the list of things we wish to pay for. So flying to Boston in the fall might be driving to Denver in the summer. Same thing.

3. I will not try to be fashionable. I tried a few times this year. I felt proud until I realized a) most of the fashions nowadays do not flatter post pregnant bodies and b) I have no idea what is fashionable nowadays. So I will stick to trying not to look dorky. And not wearing mom jeans.

4. I will not have dinner on the table every single night when Jessie gets home from work. Most nights, maybe. Every night is too much pressure. And when I don't have dinner ready or at least planned when he walks through the door, I feel guilt. So it's time to do something about that. Either way, I'm not going to make dinner every night. This way I can feel like I'm furthering my goals and becoming wiser. Score.

5. I will not let Jessie beat me at Scrabble. We play together on the iphone and ipad. Jessie is getting better and better, but remains bitter that he hasn't beaten me yet. I intend to keep it this way. Unless he beats me. In which case I let him to keep our marriage intact and boost his self-confidence.

6. I will not eat snails. This should be pretty easy to do since I have never eaten them in my life, and there is not a lot of peer pressure to do so in my neck of the woods. I just wanted to add it to the list to boost my success rate.

7. I will not start a band. My neighbors will appreciate this gesture of goodwill and harmony.

8. I will not try to cut my own hair. I may or may not have done this in the past week in an attempt to save money, under the mistaken assumption that it is easy to "just trim" hair. Turns out this is false if you are doing it to yourself and have zero hair cutting experience. On an unrelated note, I really need to visit a salon.

9. I will not pick any 16 over 1 upsets for March Madness, no matter how much Jessie attempts to convince me there is a first time for everything and optimistically and fool-heartedly makes this rookie mistake in his own bracket.

10. I will not apologize at the start of every blog for not blogging a week. Hopefully this will be a combination of the fact that I am blogging more than once a month and that I have accepted that those who read my blog are acquainted with my habits and used to my flakiness.

So there it is. My firm resolve to be passive and unproductive this year in the name of improvement and progression. Hopefully you'll all be as lucky in accomplishing your goals and aspirations. Happy New Year, everyone. You'll excuse me now, as I really need to take a nap now. Wake me when it's midnight.

No comments: