Thursday, February 10, 2011

You've been Jimmered!

So I was giving a ride to my ten year old brother, taking him to the church where my dad is reffing some Young Men's basketball games, when we had this delightful little conversation. Background information: my dad and I had just a lengthy conversation about Jimmer Fredette and the whole letter to the editor "idol" controversy. My dad expressed his frustration at people who shout "Go Jimmer!" whenever anyone ever makes a basket at church games. Also, my brother is a huge BYU fan and plans to attend there someday. Also keep in mind that he is ten, so he is completely earnest throughout this conversation. No trace of sarcasm.

Me: So, do you like Jimmer? Or do you think people talk about him too much!

Brother: Who's Jimmer?

Me: He's BYU's star basketball player.

Brother: WOO! I LOVE JIMMER! YEAH! (pause) I thought he retired.

Me: No. He plays for BYU. He's really good. Hey, you know what? Dad would really think it was awesome if every time someone scored at the game tonight, you yelled "GO JIMMER!"

Brother: He would?

Me: Yeah. He'd think it was totally funny.

Brother: (after some deliberation)...No, I don't think I'm going to do that. I'll probably get in trouble.

Me: No, Dad would love it! You should do it!

Brother: No. I think I probably won't. Because everyone else there is Utes fans.

Me: That's why you should do it! Don't you want to make your team proud?

Brother: I don't want to make a fool of myself.

Me: No, see, what you should do is stand up in the middle of all the Ute fans and yell, "Jimmer is my idol!"

Brother: (thinks about it for a minute, and then says in a confused voice:) But I don't worship idols.

Me: (Laughing really hard): Ah, [Brother]. You are wise beyond your years.

Brother: I'm wise behind my ears?

Me: (laughing harder.)

Brother: Oh, I get it. Because my brain is behind my ears. So that's where I'm wise.

No comments: